Skip to main navigation Skip to main content
Queensland Student Hub homepage



Student Support

  • Regardless of your concern (in case of an emergency call 000) free Student Support Officers are available to international and domestic students on the Queensland Student Hub, Rainbow Hub, Gold Coast Student Hub and Cairns Student Hub. Alternatively, 1800QSTUDY is a 24/7 hotline available to students who are studying in Queensland.

Student Support

  • The Queensland Student Hub Network offers a range of support services for international students living in Queensland. These include the Queensland Student Hub, Rainbow Hub, Gold Coast Student Hub and 1800QSTUDY.


  • The Department of Home Affairs is a great resource for advice, support and information regarding changing or extending your student visa. While you can apply for a new visa yourself, there are also registered migration agents who can assist you.


  • If you decide to change education providers, you need to complete at least six months of your nominated course at the time of your visa application before you can change. Alternatively, you can request to be released from your current education provider. 

    You can change providers and courses as long as the new provider is CRICOS registered and the course is not at a lower level. You need to notify the Department of Home Affairs of this change in circumstances and provide a new Certificate of Enrolment. If you would like to change to a lower level or non-Australian Qualifications Framework course, you will need to apply for a new Student Visa.

Cost of living

  • Below is an example of general living costs in Brisbane, according to Numbeo. Note that these costs are a guide only. They are in Australian dollars and do not take into account your personal spending habits.

    • Milk (1 litre) - $1.74 
    • Loaf of fresh, white bread - $3.04
    • Eggs (carton of 12) - $4.79
    • White rice (1KG) - $2.61 
    • Eating out at an inexpensive restaurant (a meal for two) - $40
    • Fast food takeaway / combo meal - $12.50
    • Coffee - $4.50
    • Gas, electricity - $223.50/month
    • Phone and Internet - $74.70/month
    • Public transport (one-way ticket) - $4
    • Fuel - $1.51/litre 
    • Cinema ticket (international release) - $16.00
    • Gym membership - $62.70/month


  • Websites such as Seek, Jobs Finder or the Qld Jobs Board are a good place to start your job search. You can also look at your study institution’s jobs board, relevant Facebook groups or visit a local employment centre. For more information or support about finding a job, you can talk to your education provider or get in contact with the Student Support Officers on the Queensland Student Hub.  

    It is important to check your visa with VEVO to ensure your visa conditions allow you to work while you’re studying in Queensland and any work restrictions you may have.

    Depending on the type of work you are undertaking in Australia, you will need to apply for a Tax File Number and/or an ABN.


  • As an international student, you are protected by Australian law while working in Australia. This means you have the same protections at work as anyone else. For more information on workplace rights, visit the Fair Work Ombudsman website.

    You can also get in touch with the Student Support Officers on the Queensland Student Hub. 


  • Employability is about more than just getting a job. It is the combination of your discipline-specific knowledge, transferable skills, experience, and attitudes that make you more employable.

    During your studies, you can build your employability skills through the Launch U program. Launch U gives you access to a wide variety of online and face-to-face experiences and programs designed to help develop your professional capabilities. Register for Launch U at


  • If you have worked in Australia and had income tax deducted from your salary, you must lodge a tax return with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) at the end of the financial year (30 June). You can do this online or through a tax agent.

    If you are returning home, you must lodge a tax return before you leave the country. You can do this electronically here, or by filling out a paper tax return, which you can download here, and lodging it by mail.

    If you paid more tax than you need to, you may receive a tax refund. However, note that any tax refund received can only be paid to a nominated Australian bank account, not into an overseas bank account. 


  • If you and your landlord or real estate agent cannot reach an agreement, you can request a free dispute resolution service from the RTA. The RTA has also produced a video series on dispute resolution which helps tenants navigate the processes. 

    You can find more information about renting a house in Queensland on the RTA website, the Queensland Statewide Tenant Advice & Referral Service (QSTARS) or ask your education provider about accommodation assistance. You can also get in touch with the Student Support Officers on the Queensland Student Hub. 


  • Depending on where and how you choose to visit a doctor in Queensland the cost to you will differ. The price to you will be at the discretion of the doctor you see. You will be required to pay for your medical visit up front. 

    OSHC is insurance for international students that covers the costs of any medical care required while in Australia. This type of insurance will cover basic, general medical and hospital treatment and provides limited cover for pharmaceuticals and ambulance services.

    Remember to bring your OSHC membership card to present with payment and keep all receipts if you plan to make a claim to your OSHC.

Student support