Skip to main navigation Skip to main content
Queensland Student Hub homepage

Enrolment support

To obtain a student visa, you need to be enrolled with a CRICOS registered Australian education provider, who will give you a Certificate of Enrolment. The success of your visa is based on completion of the enrolled course with your chosen education provider. If you decide to change education providers, you need to complete at least six months of your nominated course at the time of your visa application before you can move. 

Once you have completed six months of your initial course, you can change providers and courses as long as the new provider is CRICOS registered and the course is not at a lower level, such as moving from masters to bachelor. You will also need to notify the Department of Home Affairs of this change in circumstances and provide a new Certificate of Enrolment. 

If you would like to change to a lower level or non-Australian Qualifications Framework course, you will need to apply for a new Student Visa.

If you have not completed the six-month requirement, you can request to be released from your current education provider. It is best if you discuss this with your current provider and speak with the provider you intend to change to. 

Make sure you understand what is expected of you before switching to a new provider and course. This includes checking if the change in course will impact your visa.

Once you have completed your course you can choose to continue with further studies. To do this, you will need to:

  • apply for a new Student Visa before your current visa expires
  • apply for the course you want to study
  • ensure you have enough money to continue to pay for your living expenses and studies 
  • extend your Overseas Student Health Cover 

You can also get in touch with the Student Support Officers on the Queensland Student Hub to discuss your enrolment.